Sunday, June 22, 2014

I'm Supposed to Eat Broccoli


I'm not a big veggie lover, but I especially dislike broccoli. there's just something about the raw farty flavor of it that doesn't appeal to me. But I recently came across a recipe for roasted broccoli on Gonna Want Seconds that caught my attention. In her blog post, she promises that roasting it would caramelize it and bring out a nutty flavor. I know I need to eat more veggies and I do like nuts and caramelized things, so I gave it a whirl - and OMG is it good! Like so good, I find myself actually craving it. Now that's just weird.

Start by chopping up a head of fresh broccoli. I like to cut it really close to the tree part, leaving hardly any stem. Then lay it out on a baking sheet, drizzle with some olive oil, sprinkle with some salt and pepper and then mix it up with your hands to coat it really well.

Then pop it in the oven at 425 for about 25 minutes. I like to shake up the pan about halfway through. I also let it go until the tips of the broccoli trees are actually deep brown to almost black. It almost tastes like it's deep fried with some kind of crunchy batter on it. I'm not even kidding. My husband and I will eat a whole bunch (bale, group, head?) of broccoli like this with one dinner, which is good because it kind of loses the crunch faux-fried texture that I love when you re-heat it in the microwave.

Ive been cooking a LOT lately. I really think that eating home cooked meals is a big key to diet success. I think even when you try to order something healthy in a restaurant the portions are huge and there are so many hidden calories that you really can sabotage  yourself without even knowing it. Now coming from a girl who used to eat out at least 5 dinners a week, all this cooking at home business is a lot to get used to. But, it will be worth it in the end. I'll just keep telling myself that as I empty the dishwasher...


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment